- Call for post-graduate researchers
Call for post-graduate researchers
1. Overview of application and other details
- Researchers conduct research on a specific topic under an instructor's guidance.
- As a general rule, post-graduate researchers are admitted twice during the academic year in April and October, but admission in other months is possible in some cases.
- A post-graduate research term lasts for one year, starting from the day the admissions process is concluded. If a post-graduate researcher wants to extend the term beyond that date, however, he or she may apply for an extension.
- Post-graduate research examination fees, admission fees, and tuition.
- Examination fee \9,800
- Admissions fee \84,600
- Tuition \29,700 (per month)
Note: Tuition is paid in six month allotments
The examination fee, admissions fee, and tuition may change due to revisions of the University's rules and requirements. If the admissions fee and tuition change at the time of admission or during the term of research, the changes apply from the date they go into effect.
2. Applicant qualifications
- Completion of a bachelor's course (or expected completion of the course by the day of admission).
- Receipt of a bachelor's degree (or expected receipt of the course by the day of admission).
- Completion of 16 years of formal education in an accredited foreign institution within Japan or outside Japan
- Approval of an applicant through Sokendai's individual qualification screening procedure as one whose academic credentials are equivalent to or superior to those who have completed the bachelor's course.
3. Application materials
- Admissions form (format: Word)
- Examination fee: \9,800 paid with a postal money order. Do not fill in the "Designated payee" column of the money order.
- Resume (any format is acceptable, but a photograph must be attached).
- Certificate or written verification of most recent (or expected) degree.
- A list of significant research (any format is acceptable, but the paper must be A4 size).
- Description of research proposal (any format is acceptable, but the paper must be A4 size).
- Health certificate (as a rule, issued by a physician within three months of application. In extenuating circumstances, this can be extended to up six-months).
- For applicants who are employed, written approval from their immediate manager.
4. How to apply
Send application materials by standard registered mail to the address below. On the envelope, write in red letters "post-graduate research application materials enclosed".
2-21-1 Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-8588
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, Administration Department, Research Promotion Division, Graduate Student Affairs Section
5. Application period
Applications are accepted through the last day of the month which is two months prior to the month you wish to enter.
- Post-graduate research applicants will be reviewed to verify that they will not hinder the education and research conducted at the Graduate University for Advanced Studies, School of Physical Sciences, Department of Astronomical Science and possess the necessary research aptitude and skills.
- Before applying, prospective applicants should contact the offices below as well as the person they want as their research advisor.
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, Administration Department, Research Promotion Division , Graduate Student Affairs Section
daigakuin[at]nao.ac.jp (When sending an email, replace the "[at]" with the single-byte "@".)