Professor Namiki, Noriyuki
Brief Introduction of Research
- I am studying the interior and evolution of planetary and satellite bodies. The planet whose interior and evolution have been most understood is, needless to say, the Earth. The Earth consists of crust, mantle, and outer and inner core. And a style of heat transfer from the deep interior to the surface is governed by plate-tectonics. We used to believe that plate-tectonics is the most efficient way of cooling, therefore should be common in other planetary bodies. Surprisingly, however, planetary explorations have revealed that no planetary body except this planet shows the signs of plate-tectonics. The key for this problem is the observation data derived from the future planetary explorations. For this purpose, I am working for analysis of lunar gravity/topography data, and development of laser altimeter of Hayabusa-2.
Main Research Achievements
- Namiki, N., T. Iwata , N. Kawano, F. Fuke, N. Tateno, K. Asari, H. Noda, Y. Kono, H. Hanada, Y. Yahagi, Z. Yamamoto, K. Tanaka, M. Yamada, K. Matsumoto, S. Goossens, Ground compatibility tests for gravity measurement of SELENE: Accuracies of two- and four-way Doppler and range measurements, Space Sci. Rev., 154, 103–121, doi:10.1007/s11214-010-9682-7, 2010.
- N. Namiki, T. Iwata, K. Matsumoto, H. Hanada, H. Noda, S. Goossens, M. Ogawa, N. Kawano, K. Asari, S. Tsuruta, Y. Ishihara, Q. Liu, F. Kikuchi, T. Ishikawa, S. Sasaki, C. Aoshima, K. Kurosawa, S. Sugita and T. Takano, Far side gravity field of the Moon from four-way Doppler measurements of SELENE (Kaguya), Science, 323, 900-905, 2009.
- N. Namiki, S. Sugita, Y. Ishihara, H. Noda, S. Sasaki, T. Iwata, H. Hanada, H. Araki, K. Kurosawa, M. Matsumura, M. Yokoyama, S. Kamata, N. Kubo, A.Mori, M. Sato, Comparative study of compensation mechanism of lunar impact basins (in Japanese), J. Geod. Soc. Japan, 55, 291-306, 2009.
- Namiki, N., and C. Honda, Testing hypotheses for the origin of steep slope of lunar size-frequency distribution for small craters, Earth Planets Space, 55, 39-51, 2003.
- Namiki, N., et al., Selenodetic experiments of SELENE: Relay subsatellite, differential VLBI, and laser altimeter, Advanced Space Res., 23, 1817-1820,1999.
- Namiki, N., and S. C. Solmon, Volcanic degassing of argon and helium and the history of crustal production on Venus, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 3655-3677, 1998.
- Namiki, N., and S. C. Solomon, Impact crater densities on volcanoes and coronae on Venus: Implications for volcanic resurfacing, Science, 265, 929-933, 1994.
- Namiki, N., and S. C. Solomon, The gabbro - eclogite phase transition and the elevation of mountain belts on Venus, J. Geophys. Res., 98, 15,025-15,031, 1993.
- Namiki, N. and Binzel, R. P., 951 Gaspra: A pre-Galileo estimate of its surface evolution. Geophys. Res. Lett., 18, 1155-1158, 1991.